Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Two Needle Pines


The two-needled pine I bought as a Japanese Black Pine is, apparently, a Scot's Pine. See my blog entry here: http://lindafink.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-mystery-pine.html

The tree I bought as a Scot's Pine does not look like the one that I now know is. But they can apparently look quite unlike one another. Is the tree below a Scot's Pine, too? Unfortunately, it has not yet made cones so there are no photos of those. The needles are green in the summer but turn a bit yellow in the winter, quite unlike the other identified Scot's pine that stays beautifully blue-green all year. (Photos taken today, last day of 2013.)







Below is the tree I bought as an Austrian Pine (when it was tiny). Is it? It also has not yet made cones.



 







The last of my two-needle pines is a Shore Pine. I think. We planted it in the hedge row between what is now the arboretum and our neighbor's stand of young doug firs. It sprawls. And has lots of prickly cones this year.





Since I have expensive garden markers under each of these trees, declaring their common and Latin names, I would like to know if they are labeled correctly or not. Any help appreciated. Comment here or email linda@fink.com

Update 2017: I asked on a facebook tree identification page and the consensus was that my "Japanese Black Pine" is a Scot's Pine, probably a cultivar, the same thing I was told back in 2013. I am considering giving it a name myself: Pinus sylvestris orientalis, because it looks Japanese-ish (if that were a word) and it is planted in the Japan section of my arboretum. Here are photos from this year:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment